Monday, May 31, 2010

Spring Morning


I'm happy with the way the values turned out in this painting. Values are the relationship between light and dark areas in the field of vision. It's the hardest thing to get right in visual arts, but when you do it helps the painting to appear more 3D and "alive". Other details like palette and brushwork take a backseat to the values. Once in a while, I get it right.

This painting is really an exercise in "colour on grey". Greys are an effective way to offset and emphasize bright colours. The red and green I was using happen to make an effective grey when combined.

I achieved success in this painting by keeping it simple, but next I need to aim for something that adds more interest for the viewer, yet retains the loose, interpretive style that I'm aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment